chicken 1

Sunday 25 March 2018

Walthamstow

There had been a Little Bunting at Walthamstow Wetlands for over a month, and more recently a Serin that left quite soon. Since it is quite easy to get to, I am surprised I didn't go sooner, and I wasn't planning to go until I saw a report of a Bluethroat, and also saw I had nothing planned for the next day, a Saturday.  
Little Bunting
So the next day I travelled to Walthamstow, got held at a red signal on the train for a very long time, then eventually arrived. Unfortunately, in the morning I had seen that there was no sign of the Bluethroat. However, with or without it, it would still be good if I could find the other birds that had been around.

I started off by going to the area where the Little Bunting had been seen - an area on the ground where seed had been put out. After quite a short wait, I noticed a small bird that dropped on to the ground next to the Reed Buntings, and it turned out to be my first Little Bunting! I got amazing views if it, almost out in the open and just a few metres away. Already worth coming. In the area there was also a flock of Linnets as well as Gadwalls and Shovelers on the water. 

Little Bunting

After the Little Bunting, I asked someone for the directions to the Scaup which had been around recently. I went to the area that was described but didn't even see more than 5 Tufted Ducks at first. But as I was heading back, I set the scope up to a distant flock of Tufted Ducks and immediately noticed a drake Scaup in the flock. This is another bird I had not seen for a long time, and it was also good to see one inland for the first time.

There were also 5 Goldeneyes on the same reservoir, but apart from that, not much else (though I didn't have time to check many other parts of the reserve). So, even without the Bluethroat, it had been a worthwhile trip. 

  
Scaup - Record Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment