chicken 1

Monday 14 May 2018

Norfolk/Suffolk part 2

The Sunday began early. 3:00am saw me getting up and heading down to Hickling for a boat trip. It sounds strange to get up this early, but the main point of the morning was to try to hear some of Hickling's birds that are more vocal early on.


Tawny Owl flew in front of the car as we were heading down, which was only the second I had ever seen. As I arrived at Hickling, another Tawny Owl hooted from a distant tree. Beginning the walk, I heard two Grasshopper Warblers singing before we boarded the boat, and there were also a couple of booming Bitterns

As the boat sailed through the many Dykes, I added Reed and Sedge Warblers, Common Tern, Great Crested Grebe, Cormorant and Grey Heron to the day list. We eventually reached a metal tower, where another Grasshopper Warbler was reeling. We went up the tower and saw a deer and a flock of three Cranes, flying past at quite close range, as well as hearing many more. 

Grey Heron on a post
Next we visited the two hides, but these turned out to be very quiet, as it was apparently a very bad year for waders because of the high water levels. So we headed back, and arrived on land, where there was enough time to see a singing Garden Warbler before breakfast. After I had eaten, I went out to have another look at the Garden Warbler and had very brief views of a female Bullfinch

Next, we headed to Strumpshaw where Hobby was new for the weekend, as was Marsh Tit.

It was only 3:00pm, but there was really no other places to go nearby, and I had got up early so thought we should just head home and prepare for the next day. However, just as we were driving through Norwich, where I was staying, I checked my phone and saw news of a Wood Warbler just a couple of minutes away...in a nearby part of Norwich. 

So I rushed over there and found quite a large group of people with their heads pointing upwards to the top of the tree... must be the Wood Warbler!

Then there was a short wait before I heard the distinctive spinning song of the bird. Then another short wait before someone noticed it at the top of a tree. I got a very brief view of the bird, before it was once again obscured by leaves. But another short wait later and the bird dropped down on to one of the branches and showed itself very well! (For a Wood Warbler, most of the bird I could see was the underside). For the next few minutes the bird went in and out of sight, showing itself well at times, and constantly producing its song. 

Thank you to the patient birders who helped me to see the Wood Warbler, as I couldn't get on to it at first. I had some great views in the end. Another great lifer for the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment