chicken 1

Thursday 2 August 2018

Norfolk and Suffolk Days 1-2

This trip wasn't really planned much in advance, but after hearing that there was a Gull watching event at Minsmere, I was interested to see what it would be like, as well as doing some other birding around the area. 

I drove up to Norfolk on Sunday morning with my aunt. We decided to head to Titchwell. However, on the way, I heard news of a Semipalmated Sandpiper at Snettisham, a reserve that we were passing by anyway, so we decided to drop in for a short time. After taking the path to the very windy beach, I met some other birders who helpfully told me where the Sandpiper was. 

It wasn't long before I was enjoying good views of it as it fed behind flocks of Dunlin and Ringed Plover. This bird was a lifer, and a bird I definitely didn't expect to see on the trip. 
Semipalmated Sandpiper
On the way back there, were many more birds, including Common Tern, Meadow Pipit, Linnet and a Yellow Wagtail amongst the numerous Pied Wagtails.

Next to Titchwell, which had recently been very good for waders. I was soon watching many species, including Black-Tailed and Bar-Tailed Godwit, Ruff and Avocet. I moved on to the second hide where there were even more waders, and quite a large flock of Spoonbill (one of which appeared to be colour ringed). 
Bar-Tailed Godwits
The waders included a flock of smart-looking summer plumage Curlew Sandpipers and a Little Ringed Plover in front of the hide, as well as some more Ruff. 
Curlew Sandpipers
The next marsh held Curlew, but not much else, so we headed back, looking for birds along the way. A smart juvenile Mediterranean Gull flew in and landed on the freshmarsh, and a wader flew towards me, which turned out to be a winter plumage Spotted Redshank. It gave great views as it stayed where it was, allowing me to get the scope on it. 

We then headed back to Norwich, where I would be staying, hopeful that the next few days would be as successful as the first.

The next day was reserved for work experience, so I didn't expect any birding at all. However, later that day, we went out locally to Buckingham Marshes for an hour. 

This proved to be a great success, because it took just half an hour to see Little Ringed Plover, Little Stint, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper and many Snipe; all on the same marsh! An excellent inland site for waders, and one I wouldn't have associated with birding in late July. 

The Little Stint was in its bright red summer plumage, which was exciting because I have only seen dull looking ones in Britain. I didn't spend too much time taking photos, so they might not win any awards, but it was a great bird to watch.
Little Stint
A Common Gull also circled the river as I headed back to the car, after a surprisingly successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment