chicken 1

Monday 24 September 2018

The People's Walk for Wildlife

I was looking forward to going to The People's Walk for Wildlife to show my support for nature and the constant struggle it faces. I was also given the opportunity to join other passionate conservationists to hand in the People's Manifesto for Wildlife at Downing Street, something I was not going to miss!

Speakers at the event
I travelled up by Tube, a very short journey, and arrived in time to see Kabir Kaul and his brother Aryan Kaul sharing their views on the problems facing our wildlife via the big screen.

I went over to meet them and Arjun Dutta, as well as briefly speaking to Alex White and Mya Bambrick. 
Me, Arjun, Kabir and Aryan with Bill Oddie 
The main talks then started, with powerful and inspirational speeches given by all, including talks on racial diversity by Mya (Birdgirl), and conservation from Bella Lack, Dara McAnulty, Georgia Locock, Ruth Tingay, and a very powerful speech by Dominic Dyer. Unfortunately, some of the talks had to be cut short due to time pressures, but I they were successful in getting a positive message across.

We then started our journey to Downing Street. I walked with Kabir, Aryan and Arjun, although Arjun had to leave soon after it started. It was so encouraging to hear that the estimated number of people was 10,000 (I was way off with my guess!). People played birdsong on their phones, of species such as Song Thrush, Blackbird, Blackcap and Nightingale, and there were real birds there as well - Kabir spotted a Peregrine flying over. 

As we reached Parliament Square, more speeches were made, including ones from Mark Avery, George Monbiot and Chris Packham; all huge inspirations to me. 

Then, together with Chris, Dara McAnulty (who had travelled all the way from Northern Ireland to be here!), Bella Lack, Zach Haynes, Georgia Locock and Mya, aka Birdgirl, we were led through the gates to Downing Street to hand in the Manifesto.

This was, undoubtedly, one of the highlights of my life, going to Downing Street and presenting a manifesto that could spark serious change.
Conservationists at Downing Street - I'm happier than I look
Photo credit 
The day also gave me new ideas about what else I could do for conservation, including some things I can start doing immediately. 

- Volunteer for conservation projects. I know a few places I could do this, including organisations that clean waterways and help with habitat management and creation.

- Use social media and blog more about conservation and problems facing wildlife. 

- Campaign against events that destroy the environment, (for example balloon releases). 

- Write a letter to my local MP asking him what his thoughts are on the Manifesto and what steps he can take. (I should get this done in the next couple of days.)

Not everyone was so happy with this event, though. Certain people who enjoy hunting have decided to perceive this march for our wildlife as a personal attack on them, and have responded angrily to it. Surely if they really cared about conservation (most of the event was not even about hunting), they would have supported the walk?


After handing in the manifesto, we headed to Portcullis House to discuss how we would tackle conservation issues with Lord Randall, the Special Advisor on Environment, Prime Minister's Office, including ideas about helping young people to understand and appreciate nature.


I am hoping that there will be another Walk for Wildlife next year, as there is no doubt that I will be attending that, as all I have to say about this one is positive.

1 comment:

  1. raccoon removal toronto I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete