chicken 1

Monday 27 May 2019

The Brecks In February

After staying local for most of the February holidays, I decided to head further to see some Norfolk specialities in the Brecks. I spent the weekend around Thetford in Norfolk, and had a day guided by Carl Chapman again, who I had been guided by several times before.

I met him early on the Saturday, and we travelled to the first site of many for the day. The first birds included Goldcrest, a singing Mistle Thrush and a large finch/bunting flock which included Linnet, Yellowhammer and dozens of Bramblings, which were calling constantly.


However, the fog was too thick to look for any Goshawks, so we went to the next site. Birds here included Goldcrest, Coal Tit and Yellowhammer. The best bird though was the Woodlark, which was song-flighting and gave great views, showing off ID features such as the short tail.

Brambling
After getting good views of Woodlark, we looked for more birds around the area, including Green Woodpecker.

We went back to the original site to look for Goshawks, as the fog had almost cleared, and viewing conditions were good enough. We arrived at a site full of people, and set up the scopes. Very soon, I noticed a raptor flying over the distant pines, and was sure it was a Goshawk.


I got Carl on to the bird, and he confirmed it was a Goshawk, while putting everyone else on to the bird. Only the second I've seen in Britain, with both at this site.


The goshawk was in view for a while, and a second appeared, drifting closer until it was almost right above us, giving amazing views.


We headed to the next site at Santon Downham, where we were unsuccessful in the search for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. However, there were loads of other good birds seen, including Brambling and Siskin on the nearby feeders. The other highlight here was a couple of Otters, which came within a metre of us and showed very well, undisturbed by the many admirers.

The Otters showed well...
The final site of the day was at Lynford Arboretum, where we searched for the regular flock of Hawfinch. We found them feeding on the floor below a large tree, with a few males giving good views out in the open. I watched these for a while, until they flew in the tree, then seemed to somehow disappear, without anyone seeing them go.

There were loads of other good birds seen here, including male Crossbills giving prolonged views, a fearless Water Rail that came very close, and dozens of Marsh Tits, singing and showing well.


The highlight, however, was probably the Firecrests, tracked down from their high-pitched song. One individual showed well, coming out of the dense trees to give unobscured views on open branches.


We finished the day waiting for a murmuration of Starlings, but it must have been the wrong conditions, as the only Starlings I saw were in small groups. It had been a successful day, and I started to work out what to do the next day.

Amazing picture of a couple of Woodlarks
I started the Sunday off at Santon Downham again, where I tried for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker for the second time. After some waiting, I heard its hawk-like call from nearby in the woodland, and I began scanning the trees for it.

Eventually, I noticed it at the top of a nearby Alder, and tried to put everyone else nearby on the bird, although my directions were pretty confusing.


Another bird joined it, and they began chasing each other around the woodland, calling constantly, until they flew over the other side of the river, and deep in to the woods. While I was walking back along the path, I heard one of them drumming, before they fell silent.


Other birds seen here were another obliging water Rail, a Marsh Tit, Bramblings and many Siskins.

This Water Rail showed well
The decision for the final site of the day was hard, as I didn't have long left. At first I considered Burrel Way - the gull site in Thetford - but decided that, while in the Brecks, there were better things to do than stare at gulls, so I tried a new site to look for Willow Tit instead.

I found the feeder that had been set up for them when I arrived, and stood a few metres back to set up the scope, while birds were still coming to the food. Birds on the feeder included Blue, Great, Coal and Marsh Tit, but no Willow Tits.


I met a group of birders who said one had been heard singing further down the path earlier in the day, but I had just a few minutes before I had to catch a train back to London. So I had to abandon the Willow Tit search (though probably not for the last time) and head back to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment