chicken 1

Monday 1 January 2018

Norfolk Days 4 and 5


The 4th day of Norfolk birding was the first one where I could have a full day out birding with no sleet storms. There were quite a lot of birds on journey through Norfolk, including Kestrel, Red Kite and Buzzard. The first stop was Flitcham, where I did not see much, though there were a lot of Pheasants. A large flock of Chaffinches in one of the fields showed how good the place was for wildlife though. 

Parrot Crossbill - Very Cropped photo
 We then went to Chosely, where there was a Red Kite, but no Corn Buntings, and not even any Yellowhammers. So after a morning without many birds, we headed to Titchwell. The water levels were too high for a lot of waders, but there were a lot of Brent Geese around. There were also Redshanks and Ringed and Grey Plovers. The sea had a lot of birds, including 2 male Common Scoters and a Diver species in the distance, which I didn't manage to identify. It didn't look as pale as a Red-throated diver, but also not as heavy as a Great-northern, making me think it was a Black-throated, but it was too distant to confirm. A flock of Long-tailed Ducks gave good views as they flew in and landed on the sea.

The final stop of the day was at Holme, where I did another seawatch. The sea had hardly any birds that weren't gulls, but I did manage to see a lot of Guillemots passing. A Tawny Owl hooted from the trees, which they apparently do regularly in the afternoon at Holme.

I walked back on the path behind the trees and flushed a Woodcock that was on a slope. The day ended with a deer seen through the trees that was probably a Muntjac

Otter
The final day was spent as a travelling day back to London, but we managed to fit in a trip to Thetford Forest on the way. First we stopped at Santon Downham, where a group of people were watching an Otter. I walked over, and saw a group of at least three, including one which was making a lot of noise. A pair of Siskins flew over and a Kingfisher flew down the River. As I got back in the car, I saw a Marsh Tit flying around by the roadside. 

The next stop was St Helen's picnic site near Santon Downham, to look for the Parrot Crossbills that had been around. I wasn't expecting much as they hadn't been reported for a few days, and as I walked through the area where they had been seen, I saw nothing. I was beginning to think the stop was pointless when a flock of about 12 birds flew towards me, calling. I had never heard that call in my life, so it was definitely worth seeing what the birds were! The birds landed in a nearby tree, and I put my scope up to them, and I was amazed to see a flock of Parrot Crossbills! I got good views as they sat in the tree, before flying off. One of the best birds I have seen all year!

Parrot crossbill
I was delighted because I had finally managed to see a flock of Parrot Crossbills, which probably wont be seen in Britain in these numbers for years.
Parrot Crossbill

3 comments:

  1. Really like the Otter photo , Norfolk is such a great place to visit, well done on seeing the Parrot Crossbills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, seeing the Parrot Crossbills was great.





















      Delete
  2. It was fantastic finding those parrot crossbills by ourselves! And such a lovely otter family.

    ReplyDelete