chicken 1

Monday 29 January 2018

Rutland Water

With nothing to do, I made the decision to go to Rutland Water at the weekend, because there were a few potential lifers for me there.  It took about 2 and a half hours by train, then a 3 mile walk to the reserve. After taking a wrong turn, I made it to the reserve and checked the sightings board.
Male and Female Smew

I didn't realise there were so many hides so I can't remember the name of each one I saw the birds in.


The first hide didn't have much in it, just a few common ducks such as Tufted duck and Mallard


I entered the second hide and was immediately told that the American Wigeon was showing well in front of the hide! I scanned along and managed to pick it out in the flock of Wigeon, where it showed well in good light. It was interesting to compare it to the Wigeon around it, because they were very similar, with the main difference being the colour - very different on the American Wigeon. This was my first lifer of the day, and a bird on my target list. I watched it for a while until the hide started to get very crowded.

American Wigeon - Not the Best photo!

Also from that hide there was a Pintail, along with a lot of other species of common ducks.


The next few hides weren't as productive, but a few new birds for the day included Shoveler, Teal and Great-crested Grebe


I opened the door to one of the hides overlooking a different lagoon. As soon as I walked in, I saw a Drake Smew being videoed through someone's camera! I looked up to see the Smew right in front of the hide! It gave great views for a few seconds, before diving and swimming away. This was my second lifer of the day (also on my target list), and my favourite bird of the day because of the views it gave. There were also a few Goosanders on the water.

The Male Smew 

The rest of the day I went round the other hides, but didn't see much else apart from a Buzzard. The day had definitely been worth the trip up.




4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great day. A smew at last!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smew, Smew, Goosander too
    Pintail, Widgeon and Teal

    Get Auntie Alice to explain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very successful trip Alex , well done on 2 great lifers especially the Smew , i saw a drake at Dungeness yesterday myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice post I visit first time on this page I really excited to read your post, thanks for nice sharing I am also sharing this post on my friends. Keep up the good work. best scuba diving in the world

    ReplyDelete